Wednesday 3 December 2008

A Post for November - Better Late Than Never!

Well, if ever I thought during my writing of Dog Dirt Doris that it was tough going, and believe me sitting down to write after a ten hour work day was occasionally hard to do, then I was mistaken. By comparison to the effort of marketing the finished book, the writing now looks to have been the easy part.

Perhaps it’s the fact that I’m isolated in the middle of the desert of the Middle East which is not the best location from which to communicate with publisher, bookstore outlets or advertising media is proving to be hard going. The time difference between country to country could also be playing its part in drawing out communication of planning and arranging events. But the main factor seems to be the three day weekend that makes coordinating all the activities difficult.

‘A three day weekend!’ I hear you gasp.

Well, not by choice and certainly not spent on the beach, I can assure you. Friday is the Middle East’s rest day, so I use this, my one day off per week, to answer any outstanding issues before the western world countries take their recognized weekend of Saturday and Sunday, when I lose all communication towards progress.

However, during the remaining four day weeks I managed to plan a book launch at my local Grimsby Library on Thursday, 11 November, for which I thank the Grimsby Leisure Department and library staff for their overwhelming support, a supporting article in the Cleethorpes Chronicle, a local weekly newspaper, a copy of which I hope to place on this web-site. Additionally I had a book signing at a British Red Cross Association’s charity shop in Kettering, the Red Cross being renowned for its support of military personnel during and following war time activities I also had a short promotional article in the Lincolnshire Life magazine for the December publication along with an advert letting people know where the book was available.

At this present time, I still haven’t managed to get the book into Waterstones but therein lies another story!

No comments: